New product development, feature enhancments, platform migration and interoperability for Telepresence, Voice and Video Conferencing Solutions
The customer is a US-based leading supplier of Telepresence, Voice & Video Conferencing Solutions across the world. Product portfolio ranges from video collaboration software for mobile devices, laptops and desktops to group video systems and immersive theaters.
Scope of Engagement:
The engagement involves the development of HD Room Telepresence Solution based out of the customer ODC in our Bangalore facility. Different teams across VoIP framework (Communications), video framework, system engineering, Android-based UI & Apps development, Build Automation & Testing, work in concurrence with customer’s product architects to bring out the product into the enterprise market.
The customer wanted to develop a high-definition video communication Enterprise Telepresence Solution with multipoint conferencing support. Stringent budget constraints & aggressive timelines were the major challenges for the customer. Also interoperability with existing Unified Communications products was another focus point.
The engagement with the customer started in 2007 with the sustenance engineering of their soft video phone solution.
Customer had the advantage of leveraging the experience of engineers with their products and processes to quickly ramp up the team. Tata Elxsi also lined up a rich talent pool of resources with diverse experience across other UC ecosystem products.
Today, Tata Elxsi owns the entire product for this customer, working as a strategic partner for them. The engineering support services range from new product development to fixing a bug reported by the enterprise user and interoperability with products from other solution vendors. Tata Elxsi also has enabled innovation in terms of migrating the solution on to an advanced hardware platform and Android operating system.
ODC Best Practices
- Dedicated ODC Manager with prior customer product/process experience
- Core Team with hands-on experience with similar products from other solution vendors
- Dedicated SQA & IT Administrator at Tata Elxsi’s cost
- Seamless process improvement & integration initiatives
- State of the art lab set up equipped with the customer products
- Foolproof Data Security/IPR Protection policies as outlined by ISO 27001
Tata Elxsi developed a complete Telepresence solution for the Enterprise market including a Telepresence endpoint with multipoint conferencing support, a Centralized Visual Communication Management Application, an Android based Touch Control interface and Voice Conferencing Solution.
- 5th successful year of engagement as extended R&D team to Customer
- Current team size of 120 engineers achieved with a rapid ramp-up on a M-o-M basis
- Implementation of AS-SIP, CCCP (for MS Lync) & TIP (for Cisco Telepresence) protocols for interoperability
- Android-based UI & Apps development
- A proven track record of consistently exceeding SLA
- As part of VoIP framework (Communications), integration with MS AD and implementation of AS-SIP, CCCP (for MS Lync) & TIP (for Cisco Telepresence) protocols for interoperability
- Design & implementation of OpenMAX components to support different underlying codecs like H261,H263, H264, SVC & RTV in Video Framework
- New platform migration & software re-architecture including video device driver, microcontroller device driver & software upgrade service component
- Also, Android-based UI & Apps development, Build Automation & Testing
Tata Elxsi‘s approach to HD Room Telepresence Solution development accelerated the time to market by 30% & reduced R&D expenses by 40%. Leveraging experience with other UC ecosystem products, Customer enhanced the interoperability of the solution to be competent in the Telepresence market.